Shaving is something that almost every man does, but is not something that all men do well! Are you suffering from razor blade cuts, dry skin after shaving, or simply can’t seem to achieve a clean shave? Then it’s likely you’re using the wrong tools and need to upgrade your shaving routine.
With many shaving products available, it appears that men are spoilt for choice. However, finding an excellent shaving kit for men is not as easy as it seems, especially if you don’t know precisely what shaving equipment you should be using.
If you want to elevate your shaving routine, then read our step-by-step guide on how to achieve an ultra-clean shave.
We’ve all been there; we’re in a rush and decide to remove a few rogue hairs with a quick dry shave. Even though this is a common occurrence, it results in dry skin and doesn’t help you get a smooth result.
To ensure that your skin is fully prepped for your shaving razor, you need to prepare it adequately. Here’s how you can properly prep your skin for shaving:
- Cleanse your skin with warm water. Cleansing softens your skin, reducing the risk of shaving cuts occurring.
- Use a moisturizing pre-shave oil. Doing so will enable the razor blade to move smoothly over your skin without cutting it. Furthermore, the oil will nourish your skin and leave it feeling soft.
Develop a First-Rate Shaving routine
Once your skin is prepped, you need to make sure you have the correct instruments and technique to achieve a clean shave.
- What type of shaving razor are you using? If you suffer from cuts while shaving, consider investing in a safety razor. Safety razors include an instrument to protect your skin from the blade.
- Find a good shaving cream and shaving brush. Simply lathering soap and rubbing it onto your skin won’t result in a clean finish, in fact it could leave your skin drier than it was before. You may need to test out a few shaving agents and tools to find the best for you, so make sure you experiment to find something that works for your skin type.
- Shave with the grain using short, gentle strokes. By shaving with the direction of hair growth, there will be less irritation to your skin and possible razor burn.
Your shaving routine doesn’t end after you've removed the last hairs from your face. To enjoy longer-lasting results and to avoid incurring a shaving rash or ingrown hairs, there are a few steps you need to follow post-shave.
- Rinse your face with cold water. After you’ve removed all remnants of shaving cream and any leftover hairs with warm water, you should splash your face with cold water. Cold water will close your pores, leaving your skin fully prepared for the next step.
- Apply a moisturizing lotion. Moisturizing leaves your skin hydrated and nourished since shaving can increase the chances of dry skin.
- Apply sunscreen. When you shave your skin, you leave it more sensitive and at risk of sunburn. Make sure to apply an SPF after your moisturizer, even in winter.
- Enjoy your clean shave! By following all the steps above, you’re guaranteed to have the smoothest shave you’ve ever experienced!
Buy a Shaving Kit for men
If you’re ready to step up your shaving game, then check out the array of high-quality products on sale at Grapefruit. Our online shop contains many products to help you enjoy a closer, more comfortable shave, including brushes, oils, and razors.
You can call us on +419-519-7288, get in touch or visit us in person at our Toronto store!